How to Hire the Best WordPress Developers
Aside from hiring great content writers, graphic designers, and website developers, businesses must also consider using a content management system to build a visually-stunning and user-friendly website. Content management systems differ in functions and features, making it important for businesses to choose a platform that answers to their needs. To do this, it is essential for employers and hiring managers to have a basic understanding of content management systems such as WordPress, as well as the technical skills that they must look for in WordPress developers. The following guide presents essential information you must know when hiring WordPress developers. By the end of this article, you will have a better understanding of CMS along with how to hire the right developers for your business.
WordPress is a flexible and powerful content management system that powers more than 30% of all sites on the internet. With WordPress, anyone can build and maintain a website without any knowledge of coding. However, to create a more responsive and customised website according to your brand, businesses must work with a WordPress developer to be able to customise every aspect of the site and add-in features related to the business.
The very first version of WordPress was created by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little in 2003. Back then, it was just a simple platform built for people who wanted to create basic blogs and host them on the internet. Today, the platform has exponentially grown to be a powerful tool used to build websites of any type and for any purpose.
Before going any further, it is important to differentiate between WordPress.com from WordPress.org
WordPress.com is a free website builder enabling anyone to create and host a site. A simple yet limited, easy-to-use platform.
WordPress.org on the other hand, a more powerful open-source platform that offers a wider selection of features and customisations. Although you will still be hosting the site, you will also need to hire a WordPress developer to help you get the most out of the platform.
Now that we know the distinction between the two WordPress platforms, we will be focusing on WordPress.org for the rest of the article.
Why should you hire a WordPress developer?
Hiring a WordPress developer to work on your website will help make your websites easy-to-use, attractive and cost-effective. Moreover, experienced WordPress developers have the ability to cater to your specified requirements as they already possess the knowledge and experience to quickly deliver a variety of quality website features.. When you hire a WordPress developer, you will benefit from the following:
- As the market continues to become competitive, businesses must separate their products or services from the rest by establishing their brand online through their website.
- A skilled WordPress developer has the ability to construct a website that is tailored to your requirements and brand. They must possess the skills and technical knowledge in working with codes, themes, and plugins to produce a website targeted to your market, resulting in an increased ROI.
Better Understanding of Clientele
- A WordPress developer understands what can attract and retain users in your website. The developer has a good grasp on both the business’ and the web users’ needs and will implement changes or new features as they see fit.
Quality Work in Ample Time
- When you hire a WordPress developer, you can expect consistent quality of work produced at a lesser time in comparison to one who has less knowledge of WordPress development.
- A WordPress developer provides overall support regarding all the technicals aspects of your website. Employers don’t have to worry about maintaining the site since all technical issues and the website maintenance will be taken cared of.
Proficient in Various Languages
- A WordPress developer is expected to know multiple languages that can cater to constructing unique features for the website. Programming languages in website development like CSS, HTML, MySQL, PHP and more help improve a website’s interface and performance.
Search Engine Optimisation
- Along with good content, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is important to help make your platform more visible on the internet, by raising your site’s rank on search engines.
Comprehends Web Analytics
- A WordPress developer is able to monitor and analyze your site’s web analytics, comprehending the data gathered and finding solutions to improve its performance. Resulting in higher profits for your company.
Secured Data Confidentiality
- Data is precious and would be a nightmare when lost or falls into someone else’ lap. A trusted WordPress developer will ensure that all your data is highly secured. When you recruit a developer from a company a dedicated data server will protect and store all your data.
Hiring a skilled and trusted WordPress Developer will help not only during the initial stages of your site but also after its construction, as the developer will consistently maintain the performance of your site. At Cloud Employee, we provide IT offshoring services that were mentioned above to tech startups and big businesses. With us, you will get access to talented software developers at competitive rates.
What are some Best Practices in WordPress development?
WordPress developers are advised not to edit existing WordPress Core files and third-party plugins. Once the code is updated in the future, there could be a risk of overwriting your custom code in the future. Although you can always re-edit after every update, there are better efficient alternatives to customize codes on WordPress.
Customise functions via a site-specific plugin
Instead of editing WordPress Core files, plugins or themes you can add custom functions through using site-specific plugins. Custom plugins are commonly used to add specific code snippets to a WordPress site, for specific functions. You could write a custom plugin in order to give you a custom post type that has the attributes needed. Similarly, you could add a plugin for a new type of User Role. An advantage of adding functions as plugins rather than a theme as it allows you to swap your active theme without losing its functionality.
Customise functions via a child theme
WordPress developers often opt for building upon an already pre-existing theme as it allows them the freedom to customize a theme, as well as avoiding the extra workload. This is done by installing the original theme and then creating a child theme version from the original theme. As a result, the custom code remains intact whenever the original theme is updated.
When it comes to writing code on WordPress there are a number of practices that ensure better results whilst using WordPress. Here are some important factors to keep in mind as you write code:
Clear Readable Coding
When you write code for WordPress it is very important that what you are writing is readable to any developer. It is best to adhere to:
- Normal spacing
- Grouping patterns
When it comes to elements and arguments always add extra spacing:
array = [ a, b ];
foo( arg );
foo( ‘string’, object );
foo( options, object[ property ] );
foo ( node, ‘property’, 2 );
Your code must adhere to WordPress standards where the code is structured consistently
- A developer should use similar naming conventions for files and functions
- Make sure the way you call classes, functions and hooks are aligned with WordPress core.
Ensure that your code has the flexibility to be edited in the future:
- A WordPress developer should use relative URL paths wherever possible
- The coding should be flexible to accommodate for future editing
What skills should you look for when hiring WordPress developers?
When hiring a WordPress developer it is important for employers and recruiters to make sure that the developer is competent in web application development along with the following:
It is highly beneficial for a WordPress developer to plan ahead, to avoid any repercussions. A developer must make sure that all priorities in the development are in alignment with upcoming deadlines.
Openness to Learn
Having a fixed mindset will not take you far, a WordPress developer should always be open to expanding their knowledge and practising new skills. WordPress as a platform constantly comes up with new versions, therefore the best WordPress developers are always updated to its newest features.
Tests and Receives Feedback
Thorough testing of the website and all its functions is highly important. A WordPress developer must make sure that the site works in different browsers and operating systems. It is also essential to get your feedback regarding how the theme and plugins are to your liking. The best WordPress developers are ones who are able to manage things until you are satisfied with the result.
What is the usual rate for WordPress developers?
The cost of WordPress development projects varies greatly depending on the complexity of your website, the duration of the project, and the level of expertise you need. However, there are guides on cost estimates readily available on the internet which you can use for reference.
Below is a quick table comparing the annual salaries and hourly rates of WordPress developers from the UK, the US, Canada and Australia. All figures are from PayScale and Neuvoo.
|Average WordPress Developer Annual Salary||Average WordPress Developer Hourly Rate|
|United Kingdom||GBP 22,656||GBP 15|
|United States||USD 70,200||USD 28|
|Canada||CAD 51,110||CAD 20.32|
|Australia||AUD 60,560||AUD 25.81|
Although, hiring locally is the common way to go, there are companies from startups to large tech firms who are looking for more cost-efficient and quick alternatives to find the tech talent they need. This is where IT outsourcing providers enter the picture.
As your IT outsourcing partner, Cloud Employee provides startups and small and medium-sized enterprises with a risk-free alternative to hiring WordPress developers. We offer competitive industry rates that allow companies to hire the best WordPress developers while saving on overhead costs.
What interview techniques should you use to hire the best WordPress developer?
As you go through the process of hiring a WordPress developer, take into consideration that the main purpose of the interview isn’t to give hard and challenging tasks. The goal is merely to assess the candidate’s abilities within a set time. To conduct a successful interview, here are some great tips to keep in mind as you examine your candidates.
Now, whilst keeping those practices during the interview in mind here are some specific questions that we recommend you use during the interview.
Q: When your website gets hacked, how should you resolve it?
A: Once your WordPress website gets hacked, there are 4 steps that needs to be followed:
- Installation of security plugin
- Re-installation of the latest WordPress version
- Change all passwords and User-IDs
- Make sure that your themes and plugins are updated
- Integrated with your hosting panel, scan the system using Anti-virus program
Q: Define what hooks are and its types in WordPress.
A: Hooks give access to your plugin to the rest of WordPress, as it calls functions in your plugin at specific times, setting your plugin in motions.
Hooks that WordPress core launches at specific points during executions, or when specific events occur. The plugin specifies its PHP (scripting language) functions which are then in react at the specified point, using the API plugin.
Hooks that WordPress launches that modifies the text of various types before it is added into the database or before it is sent to the browser screen. The plugin is able to specify that one or more of its PHP function used to modify certain text types, using Filter API plugin.
How can Cloud Employee help you?
With Cloud Employee, a fast-growing UK-managed IT outsourcing company, strategic solutions are provided for tech startup and firms who are facing problems looking for tech talent. We offer assistance on helping you hire the best offshore WordPress developers at no extra cost.
It’s simple to find your WordPress developer with us:
- Just let us know your staffing requirements, and our team of expert recruiters conduct a custom search for qualified offshore WordPress developers right away.
- We send you a shortlist of candidate CVs from which you handpicked.
- Then technical tests will be conducted with the developers you have chosen.
- Throughout our custom recruitment process, we make sure you only hire the offshore WordPress developer you want.
- Once you have hired your offshore WordPress developer of choice with us, he or she works exclusively with you, reporting directly to you, during your timezone.
- As you work with your offshore WordPress developer on your project, we provide assistance to both you and your developer. Providing developers with high-spec hardware and software and a comfortable working environment here in our Philippine offices.
- Cloud Employee makes sure that all things are taken cared of as you focus on your website development. We do all the paperwork for you, from payroll, taxes, HR to general admin.
What is the dedicated hiring model?
What’s special about working with Cloud Employee is our dedicated hiring model, aiming to help you avoid the risks and extra costs of traditional outsourcing. Your dedicated offshore WordPress developer becomes an addition to your in-house team adhering to your processes, tools and standards.
This model is considered the best engagement model, due to the flexibility it offers. Scaling your team according to your business requirements whenever you need it is made possible.
- Ideal for long-term projects, especially those with a constantly changing scope and undefined specifications
- Works fine with a predictable budget even with an indefinite project scope
- As the client, you have full control from recruitment and interviews to the management of your outsourced WordPress development team
- You monitor and assess the product quality directly
- The dedicated WordPress developers you hire work exclusively for you, so they understand your objectives, goals, standards, and expectations clearly
Moreover, the dedicated hiring model suits these businesses the most:
- Those who prefer to work with a dedicated WordPress developer for their project
- Those who are looking to reduce their hiring and recruitment expenses
- Those that want flexibility and scalability especially during the development
More than a hundred startups and SMEs from all over the world are trusting Cloud Employee for their WordPress development needs because of its convenient and client-oriented model. The outsourced team becomes an efficient extension of the in-house team.
All of these services are offered at competitive industry rates, making us and our business model the top choice for many startups and firms.
WHY HIRE OFFSHORE WORDPRESS DEVELOPERS WITH CLOUD EMPLOYEE
"My biggest pain point was we have to move fast and it takes a lot to hire people. Since Cloud Employee already had some infrastructure finding some candidates was pretty easy. I felt like I interviewed maybe 12 people in 1 or 2 weeks. Which is pretty fast. And all of them were pretty qualified. As far as moving faster, and getting our app and our website like full speed ahead, Cloud Employee has helped us, absolutely. Totally expedited our development which leads in the end to the growth of our business."
Anthony Wentzel, Freebird Rides
"Partnering with Cloud Employee helped provide us with talented and hard-working developers who quickly became a core part of our wider team in the UK. Our end clients have complex and changing requirements, so the agility of our Cloud Employee developers has always helped us keep up to speed. Communication and problem-solving is excellent, and the support from the wider Cloud Employee management is first class."
Pete Ansell, Kicktag
- SEE MORE